When I first heard of BlogLovin‘ all I could think of was the Mariah Carey song Dreamlover…except replace “Dreamlover” with “BlogLovin’” in the chorus. You know, so it kind of goes like this: “BlogLovin’ come rescue me, take me up, take me down, take me anywhere you want to baby now, I need you so desperately, won’t you please, come around, cuz I wanna share forever with you baby!” Here’s the link to the YouTube video of Ms. Carey for those you not down with their 90′s pop. And those lyrics couldn’t be more appropriate due to the recent announcement that Google Reader is closing its doors on July 1st.
Image source: Examiner.com
I’m not gonna lie, as an avid Google Reader user, I was pretty bent out of shape about the announcement. I even went through the 5 stages of grief:
- Denial: Psssh…it’s not going away, it’s too important. Warning message when I login to reader…ignore. It’s just some weird Google joke.
- Anger: WTF Google? What are you doing to me?! Start writing angry message to Google. How do you email Google?
- Bargaining: Found a petition to bring back Google Reader…signed it. Used my real email address. Big mistake. Now I get weird petition signing requests.
- Great Sadness: Cried myself to sleep after I couldn’t figure out how to email Google.
- Acceptance: Goodbye Google Reader…hello BlogLovin‘!
Before making the switch from Google Reader to BlogLovin, I dabbled with Feedly. Feedly is another reader that’s free for now, that alot of Google Reader users are flocking to. But me no likey. Then I heard of BlogLovin’ and it was love at first sight. For a blogger, who loves to follow other bloggers, and find new, amazing bloggers, it was the perfect switch. With BlogLovin’ you can be a lot more social with the posts/blogs you read. As a reader you can like posts, save posts for referring too later, and see who your favorite bloggers are following. As a blogger, you can see who is following you, the blogs they follow, and are notified when someone likes one of your posts. I love it! I’ve already found a few new fave blogs because of it, like Decor And The Dog, Newly Woodwards, and Domestic Adventure (who just so happens to blog in a physical location close to mine….whoot whoot…shameless plug for a fellow Maine blogger!). Anywho…are you ready to make the switch?! Here are the easy steps to switch from Google Reader to BlogLovin:
- Setup your new BlogLovin’ account, which is as easy as name, email address, quick about me, and a blog link (but if you don’t have a blog you just leave it blank)
- Upload your Google Reader feed by clicking on the “Import From Google Reader” button that pops up after you confirm your email address
- Claim Your Blog if you have one by following Blog Lovin’s easy steps to confirm that the blog you say is yours really is yours; it’s pretty much just putting a “follow me” button in one of your posts
- Find blogs by using the search feature, or by cruising who some of your favorite bloggers are reading
It’s seriously THAT easy to flip the switch. Now go out, set up your BlogLovin’ account, and go follow me (shameless plug for me)!
Pssst…How about you guys? I’m totally curious, how do you prefer to read your favorite blogs? Are you an email subscriber type? Or have a reader of choice? Or are you a traditional, go to your favorite blog sites to read their posts type?
Psssssst…On a completely different note, I debated not posting this tonight due to what’s going down in Bean Town right now. It just seems so trivial to post about being sad about Google Reader going away when people are hurting in Boston. But I ended up posting my regularly scheduled post. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this afternoon’s tragedy. And this one really hit home for us since we LOVE Boston and frequent that section of Boylston every time we head to Fenway. Such a sad day…I’m pulling for you all, Boston!