First off, thank you all so much for the sweet comments about our first floor bathroom renovation progress so far. It’s so crazy how when you live through the projects and they’re happening at a snail’s pace, it doesn’t really feel like progress. But you guys definitely made us feel like we made some respectable headway in redoing the space.
So today let’s take a look at the details of what we’ve done so far. Kind of a step by step evolution of the first floor bathroom renovation. We’ll also do a budget check since we’re trying to keep this entire project, decor and all, under $500. That’s for construction materials, decor, and new towels (because ours are in desperate need of replacing since they’re white and have had a series of unfortunate rust stains that may just look like blood). So starting out, the bathroom looked like this:
That’s after we had ripped out a weird little wall and sliding door between the toilet section and the tub section due to mold and poor air flow. Which also meant that we ripped out the drop ceiling that was put in to house the vent on the toilet side. So here’s the play by play.
November 2016 Progress:
- More demo…ceilings and walls came down, shower doors removed, second door to kitchen removed, and blue accent tiles chipped out from shower.
- Closed up second door to kitchen and framed out a wall cabinet in its place.
- Sheet rocked the upper walls and added bead board to the lower walls. Recycled picture rail removed from other rooms to use as chair rail trim.
- Ran new electrical for a pair of ceiling lights and roughed in electrical for switches and outlet.
- Ran new duct work for shower vent and installed vent.
- Strapped ceiling for planking and added a moisture barrier to help alleviate mold issue.
- Mudded, sanded, mudded, sanded……(repeat for what seems like all of eternity).
- Removed old slider door, widened door opening, and moved the door that went to the kitchen to be the only bathroom entrance door.
- Trimmed out door.
Thank goodness so much got done in November because then came December and the holidays and things slowed pretty much way down. But a few finish work items got taken care of.
December 2016 Progress:
- Ceiling planking was pre cut, pre painted and then installed.
- Upper walls primed.
- Replacement tiles installed and grouted in both the shower and the floor.
- Shower vent installed and functional.
January was when the magic happened. All of a sudden we were in an “OMG we’re going to have a baby soon so we need to finish all the things” kind of mode. Which was ironic that I felt that way since my actual energy level was more suited for napping on the couch or cruising Netflix. Nine months pregnant problems.
January 2017 Progress:
- Painted the upper walls a dark blue (it’s Benjamin Moore Raccoon Fur).
- Painted the bead board white.
- Installed baseboards, crown, and other miscellaneous trim painting everything the same glossy white (all Benjamin Moore White Dove).
- Caulked the tub.
- Installed outlets, switches, and covers.
- Switched out the toilet seat and handle hardware (no more wood seat!) for a more timeless look.
- Hung a mirror which we stole from another room.
- Installed a pair of globe light fixtures.
And this is where she stands. In a much improved, but still in a void of personality state. But that’s where things like shower curtains (we currently just have a liner hanging) and towels come into play. So what’s next? We have a few projects that we want to finish up like making a door for the built in cabinet:
Then there are other projects like painting the door white, sewing a skirt to hide the sink plumbing, framing the mirror, and hanging some towels hooks. We’re so close to finished that we can taste it!
So how’s our budget looking? Or more specifically, how much is left over in the budget so I can splurge on fancy towels? Here’s the breakdown:
- Ceiling planking: $150
- Bead board: $60
- Sheetrock and mud (scrapped together from stuff we already had): $0
- Trim (a combination of some new pine and recycling stuff we had): $60
- Paint (already had…the dark paint we bought for our kitchen cabinets and have yet to use it and the white is the same white we’ve used throughout our house): $0
- Shower tiles and grout (tiles left in the basement from the previous owners and grout leftover from our last bathroom project): $0
- Floor tiles and grout: $12
- Vent and ductwork: $35
- Pair of ceiling lights: $14
- Switches, outlets, light boxes, covers and miscellaneous electrical stuff we didn’t already have: $20
- Toilet seat and handle: $33
- Total Cost So Far: $384
I’m feeling a little nervous about the leftover $116 since I’m pretty sure it’s not going to cover the coveted Ballard shower curtain and Pendleton towels I’ve had my eye on. But I’m sure I can get the finished product to clock in somewhere close. Until next time.